- 400g Butter
- 400g Caster sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 400g Self Raising Flour
- 2 Stalks Rhubarb (Cut into 4cm Chunks and Tossed in Sugar)
- Handful of Strawberries(Cut in Half)
- 100g Butter
- 125g Plain Flour
- 75g Caster Sugar
- 50g Rolled Oats (optional)
- Place the sugar and butter in a mixing bowl and mix with a whisk.
- Add two eggs and half of the flour and whisk, then the last to eggs and the rest of the flour and whisk till you get a smooth cake batter.
- Pour into a large well greased cake tin and scatter the rhubarb and strawberries on top, don’t press the fruit in otherwise it’ll sink to the bottom whilst cooking.
- Crumb together the topping flour, sugar and butter with your thumb and fingers add the rolled oats and mix evenly. Pour over the top of the cake mixture and fruit.
- Pop into a preheated oven at 180° for 30 minutes, turn down to 160° and cook till cooked. (when a skewer in the center comes out clean)
It’s quite a large cake so it’ll take a while to cook, it’s also quite a moist cake so the skewer may come out a bit wet but judge it by the colour of the cake, the edges do tend to brown but shouldn’t get dark. Let the cake cool on a rack and enjoy with thick cream.